Although US citizens do not need to apply for a regular visa to visit Australia for short-term periods if traveling for tourism or business purposes, they still need to apply for the Australian ETA (Electronic Travel Authority).
Read on for more information about ETA and find out how you can obtain yours from the United States.
- Electronic Travel Authority for US citizens
- Electronic Travel Visa Eligibility Requirements
- How to obtain an Australian visa from the US?
A traveler from the US holding a valid ETA can enter Australia numerous times and stay there for up to 90 days each time.
The Australian Electronic Travel Authority serves the purpose of tourism or business, which means that it is possible to use it for all kinds of leisure activities, e.g., holidays, sightseeing, family/friend reunions, etc.
Moreover, ETA allows its holder to handle various business affairs, such as participating in business meetings and conferences, negotiating contracts, looking for potential business opportunities, and so on.
To qualify for the Electronic Travel Authority, an applicant from the US must:
- hold a valid passport that will remain valid for more than 3 months from the date beyond the intended arrival in Australia
- not be ill with any highly-infectious disease that could pose a danger to the Australian citizens
- not require costly medical or community services or medical care that could deny access to the same to any citizen or permanent resident of Australia
- meet certain character requirements, including having a clear criminal record (not having a 12-month jail time record)
Additionally, it may be necessary to undergo a medical examination to comply with the Australian health requirements or provide good conduct proof, for example, a police certificate.
Failure to meet any of the aforementioned requirements may result in your visa application being rejected.
A passport holder from the US can apply for the Australian ETA online after meeting all eligibility requirements.
To submit an online ETA application, you should visit the Australian official government website. You will need to provide some personal and passport information and provide certain supporting documents.
Remember that it is necessary to obtain an Australian visa before entering Australia. It is impossible to get a visa upon arrival in Australia.
Apply for ETA and travel to Australia multiple times throughout its 1-year validity period. Your single stay in the country can be as long as 3 months!