International students who would like to live, study, and work in Australia after they have finished their studies may apply for a special temporary visa. In order to do this, they must be no older than 50 years of age, have held a student visa in the last 6 months, have an eligible visa, and have recent qualifications in a CRICOS-registered course. Besides, it is required to attach specified evidence during application. Some additional conditions may be needed, so keep that in mind.
The application process for a 485 visa is simple and won’t take much time. Interested visitors must open an ImmiAccount, attach all the required documents, cover the fee, and submit the application. There are several types of 485 visa: Graduate Work Stream, Post-Study Work Stream, Second Post-Study Work Stream, and Replacement Stream. Note that you are not allowed to change visa streams after the procedure, and a separate visa application is needed for each applicant.
Applicants generally must meet the following 485 visa requirements:
- Be under 50 years old
- Hold a student visa that is valid
- Had a student visa before applying for a 485 visa for 6 months
- Received one of the following degrees: bachelor’s degree, master’s degree (course work, extended, by research), PhD
- Have studied at an Australian university
- Didn’t have a 485 visa or a 476 visa before
- Meet the skills requirements (in the case of the graduate stream)
- Their occupation is on the skilled occupation list (in the case of the Graduate Stream)
Keep in mind that you can be asked to meet additional requirements, as it all depends on the government’s decision and individual situation.
What are the types of Temporary Graduate Visa?
Graduate Work Stream
Temporary Graduate visa holders are eligible to live, study, and work in Australia. Besides, they can bring their family members if they meet the conditions. The 485 visa processing time can be measured in the special tool available online.
You are able to stay in Australia for up to 18 months (currently, the visit can be up to 24 months for an application submitted on or before 2 September 2023). What is more, nationals from Hong Kong and Great Britain are eligible to be in Australia for 5 years.
An international student temporarily seeking employment in Australia who graduated from an Australian institution may apply for this visa type. It is possible to stay in the country for up to 4 years with this visa, depending on the qualification (Hong Kong and British nationals are eligible to stay 5 years). It is possible to extend a Post-Study Work visa, depending on the circumstances.
Second Post-Study Work stream
A Second Post-Study Work visa can be obtained by a temporary graduate visa holder (first post-study work stream or replacement stream) who graduated at an Australian institution in a regional area. If you have this visa, you are allowed to live, work, and study in Australia.
The possible stay varies between 1 and 4 years, as it depends on the regional location of the educational institution, the regional area where an applicant lives, and a selected degree. It is possible to extend this visa for another 2 years.
The replacement stream visa is designed for current and former Temporary Graduate Visa holders who lost time on their original visa because of COVID-19 travel restrictions. It allows living, working, and studying in Australia.
Besides, this 485 visa type enables a stay between 18 months and 6 years (the applicant will get the same grant period as the visa held previously). In some situations, it is possible to extend this visa for an additional 2 years. In the case of Hong Kong and British citizens, it is possible to be in Australia for 5 years.
How Can I Obtain a Temporary Graduate Visa?
In order to apply for a 485 visa, you need to consider the steps listed below:
- Create an ImmiAccount on the special online platform. Follow the instructions and fill in the form. Provide information, such as name, surname, nationality, etc. Check everything twice before the submission.
- Attach the necessary documents. Select which 485 visa stream you need and submit originals or scanned photocopies. Remember that it is required to prepare documents adequately so it would be possible to upload them.
- Cover the service fee. There are several options for payment, so you can select the one you want.
- Submit the application. You can submit your application after the payment is finished. Note that the applications must be sent according to the Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST).
Is it possible to bring family members on a 485 visa?
Close family members, such as a partner, spouse, children, or grandchildren, are eligible to go with you to Australia on a 485 visa. Remember that family members over 16 must meet all the conditions, including the character requirements.